--- RULES Mar 29, 2012 16:14:25 GMT -5
Post by ( MANDEE ) on Mar 29, 2012 16:14:25 GMT -5
1) [Wording Amended May 26th, 2015] Aretha Franklin's most famous song says it best: R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Respect for the admins, and respect toward your fellow members. We don't want any OOC drama to impede the experience here. If you feel the need to create drama, we request that you take it off site, or confine it to PMs. But we REALLY prefer if you don't create OOC drama at all. This means no personal opinion on politics or religion, discrimination, sexism, racism, etc. We also do not want to hear your opinions on what another member ships in the Hetalia universe. Everyone is welcome to have their own character choices and to not be discriminated against because of them. We want to keep a happy and drama free environment.
1.1) [Amendment Added August 3, 2013, Wording Amended April 1st, 2015] In regards to plotting in particular, it is not acceptable to fail to plot with characters who should know one another. We understand that plotting can take time but it doesn't make sense for say Canada and the US to not know one another. As a result, plotting to establish relations over the last few centuries is required (even if they are cannon and it has been worked out before). We will not allow individual members to discriminate or push out other members without cause. This means that when plotting, threading, ICing, etc no one member should be ousted or mistreated in any way. Exceptions permitted; 1. If there is OOC drama that can be proven and the intent is to avoid further drama. 2. There is no logical reason for the two characters to interact (which is unlikely). 3. The avoidance/mistreatment is in character.
1.2) [Amended April 5, 2015: Rule Added] We understand that sometimes discrimination occurs in character. This must be kept subtle and not encompassing of the primary characteristics of a character. All discriminatory traits must be clear in the app and be outlined very clearly before role-playing it. If you plan to place this trait in a character make it clear it’s a personal issue instead of an actual hate of race, gender, etc. Example: There is no reason your character can’t have a personal view that women should be at home taking care of children, and that causes them issues sometimes speaking with women who are stronger leaders, but they cannot say to that character ‘Get in the kitchen and make me a sandwich’. It is NOT okay to do this unless you message and discuss if such issues will come up in your threads with the one you are roleplaying with. We do not in any way support discrimination, sexism or racism of any kind. We will NOT accept characters (or roleplayers) that are blatantly racist, sexist, etc. So don’t bother creating an app if this is your intention. We, the staff, maintain the right to ask that a post be changed at any time that an individual posts something we deem unacceptable. If it is blatant enough, a warning will be given as if a rule has been broken.
1.3 [Amended May 26th, 2015: Rule Added] We are an AU site and have diverged from real world politics as of mid-2013. This means all current events are not relevant to our plots and our timeline. Current events should not be joked about, made light of, or spoken of in an offensive manner. We are a internationally friendly site, and real world politics can cause tensions and hurt feelings. We don't want any of that here. If you must discuss this with friends or people you know on site, do it in private chats such as Skype conversations.
2) We technically have no word count. We discourage one-liners and posts so short that they leave little to respond to.
3) With the above said, try to be respectful of what others have posted. If someone puts up an 800 word thread and you do not feel that you can come close, ask before posting. Some are perfectly fine with differing post lengths, while others get annoyed. What we're trying to say is, check with the poster before you take any action! Of course, if the poster mentions in their post that they don't mind length, that's an entirely different cookie.
3.1) [Amended May 26th, 2015: Rule Added] Any thread that includes sex or violence must be marked with an [M] (mature). We must follow the Proboards Terms and Conditions. This means all sexual or violent content must be kept tame and discrete. Consider what the rating would be, and know that anyone--even those under 18--can see this. If you really must enter this realm, please remember to fade to black. Proboards Terms and Conditions say:"You represent and warrant that you shall not use the Website or Services to upload, post, transmit, display, perform or distribute any content, information or materials that: (a) are libelous, defamatory, abusive, or threatening, excessively violent, harassing, obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, or pornographic"
4) We're not going to put any limits on character creation or nation claims. We do reserve the right to refuse a new character if we feel the member has been inactive, until such a time as the member is active enough that we think they can handle another new character.
4.1) [Amendment Added September 8, 2013] If we find someone lacking activity too heavily, the account will receive a warning. That warning will give them two weeks to get on top of things. This system will continue until you have three warnings (the Rper not the character). If you get to three warnings, we will ask you to select a character to be deleted and you will be banned from making characters until you have maintained solid activity for two months.
4.2) [Amendment Added February 15, 2015] Aliases are limited to one per person. For example; Pancake plays multiple characters, they will all be grouped under the Alias Pancake. If we find anyone replicating alias names for the sake of extra character creation, to get around the rules or for any other reason they will be expected to delete all characters under their extra aliases and to reapply again if they wish to keep those characters.
5) [Amended May 26th, 2015: Wording rephrased] We ask that you keep powers believable and only one power per character. Some powers make sense to come in sets. For example, if you can read minds, then it makes sense for a power to eventually develop to speak in another's mind. However, if you choose to have a character controlling fire and water that just doesn't make sense. All character powers should be within constraints of believably (considering its fiction) and should not be over-powered. If the staff decide an ability is too overpowered or a roleplayer is not portraying their ability as listed on their application with all applicable control upgrades, official warnings will be issued.
6) [Amended June 22, 2014: Wording rephrased] Be as accurate as possible to the location you are creating, while also making it your own. This means we are willing to accept some variance from their politics and stereotypes, but for the most part it has to make sense.
6.1) [Amended June 22, 2014: Rule Added] We are an AU site so we are comfortable allowing people to adjust governments as they see fit, but always within reason. We don't mind changing prime ministers/presidents/heads of state to different people, even fictional people. However, we ask that all stereotypes remain firmly in place and that governments don't deviate too far from actuality. For example; Canada is a peacekeeper stereotypically so if it starts a war that would be considered abnormal and must have a very good admin accepted reason. Or the United States; The US government will not sit by and let a terrorist attack happen and do nothing. Think about what choices and changes you are making, justify them, and make sure they fit as a government action of that country.
6.2) Amended May 26th, 2015: Rule Added] When plotting relationships with other characters remember to research the history and relations of the two parties involved. Plots should reflect accurate historical information. Any historical instance is relevant and no part of history may be discounted without just cause (Just Cause meaning: Religious assumed history, violent history that includes extremely delicate issues such as sexual assaults and/or genocide). This does not mean ignore them, but rather consider them and refer to them in a sparing way.
7) Absolutely no god-modding. For example, if your character throws a punch, DO NOT assume that the punch hits the other character. Leave it open in your post for the other character/RPer to act!
7.1) [Amendment June 22, 2014: Rule Added] Godmodding includes making extreme references to a character that doesn't exist. You can not predetermine a personality for a character not on site. Vague references are a must, but do not assume that a character is a certain way before they were ever created.
8) [Amendment June 22, 2014: Wording Rephrased] Stay away from "perfect" characters. No one is perfect, and your character should not be either. Besides, adding a couple of flaws usually makes your character more fun to play! On that note, Don't assume your character is stronger than someone elses' or decide that your character will win a certain combat situation. If the two rpers can not agree, PM an admin and we will make the decision on who wins and who loses.
9) When you apply, you may apply under any name. However, we ask that you change your display name to read your character's full name. So, first, middle, and last for most characters, or just first and last if your character happens to have no middle name. PLEASE put the name in capitals!!!
9.1) [Amended February 1, 2015. Rule added due to necessity] This is an unspoken understanding among role-players, but clearly it needs to be voiced. PLAGIARISM IS NOT ACCEPTABLE! Plagiarism is one of the few offenses where we maintain the right to act immediately instead of using the warning system. Don't let us catch you plagiarizing anything. All written content you post must be your own. Visual content isn't as particular, but stolen assembled graphics also count as plagiarism. This does not mean fanart, images of your character, etc are a problem. It means if you steal signatures or other such graphics with images and text from other people without permission it counts as a type of plagiarism.
10) [Amendment August 3, 2013: Rule Added, June 22, 2014: Rule Reworded] In terms of activity, we will be keeping a close eye on member activity. We expect threading to occur, especially if a character is being used in the IC box as well. Activity checks will require a IC thread to be posted in listed time before the activity check ends. This does not include cellphone threads. If a character is inactive and only posts for the activity check we will monitor them after the check to be sure they remain active. If the admins decide that activity has become an issue, the character will be warned. If activity doesn't pick up within two weeks of the warning (exception being they have an absence post) then the character will be deleted. We retain the right to refuse a character in an activity check if they have failed to keep up activity for multiple checks.
11) [Amendment May 6, 2014: Rule Added] Posting is limited until a character is accepted. This means you may not post in any in character threads, forum games, plot pages, cellphones, thread trackers and in most of the claims. Please only post your app, location reserve or face reserve. Posting in the chat board is acceptable as well.
12) [Amendment June 22, 2014: Rule Added] All major combat scenarios require admin permission. This doesn't mean a battle, or a fight between characters. This means the use of heavy artillery, nuclear devices or extreme environment modifying battles/scenarios. If it just blows up a house or a small street, that is fine. We are looking at damage to huge stretches of land and/or cities. If you are uncertain where your intended battle/situation falls, please PM an admin and ask anyways.
12.1) Amended May 26th, 2015: Rule Added] Combat scenarios and wars are sensitive topics, especially in recent history. As these can often be delicate matters where opinions on events differ it is important to ensure all roleplayers of threads including these topics (or mentioned in these topics) are on the same page. Discuss all scenarios first and make sure that everyone is accepting of the same perspective, ideas, or intended conflicts to occur in the thread. This is a good rule to follow even for non-battle related threading/ICing.
13) Last but not least, make sure to HAVE FUN!